Awakening Wellness Centre in Victoria, BC offers Chinese herbal medicine remedies.
Benefits of Chinese herbal medicine:
- Treats acute conditions and disease
- Heals chronic illness and strengthen the body for recovery
- Focuses on treating the source rather than the symptoms
- Promotes body’s harmony and balance
Herbal medicine is one of the three main treatment methods within Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). Whereas Western medicine primarily treats the symptoms of disease, Chinese herbal medicine targets the root causes of the problem.
Chinese herbal medicines are classified as food; they should have virtually no side effects, and provide only beneficial healing results.
Each herbal medicine formula is uniquely designed for the individual patient. The formulas are a cocktail of any number of herbs, plants, or animal and mineral ingredients, and can contain anywhere from 6 to upwards of 20 different ingredients. Because the formulas are individually tailored, the practitioner will often modify the blend as the condition of the patient evolves. At the beginning of the treatment, a patient can expect to see weekly modifications to their formulas. The TCM practitioner and patient will work closely to monitor improvements.
The herbs used in these medicines can be prepared in various ways. Raw herbs, once combined by the TCM practitioner are boiled and taken as tea. Alternately, prepared herbs can be purchased as pills, capsules, tablets, or as a tincture. Herbs may also be applied externally as a plaster to treat pain.
Conditions treated with Chinese herbs
Chinese herbal medicine can be used as a supportive therapy for chronic or painful disorders, as well as a variety of other conditions including
- Respiratory – colds, flus, allergies, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis and sinusitis
- Emotional – anxiety and depression
- Urogenital – sexual dysfunction, prostatitis and urinary tract infection
- Gastrointestinal – acute diarrhea, constipation, gastritis, ulcers and indigestion
- Musculoskeletal and Neurological – neuralgia, migraines, dizziness, insomnia, and back, shoulder and neck pain
- Circulatory – anemia, arteriosclerosis, pectoris and hypertension
- Menstrual – irregularities, pain